Monday, March 1, 2010

Literary Tea

Well, I will admit it...when I first heard that we were going to have a "Literary Tea" at Veritas, I rolled my eyes a little. I feel quite intimidated by events that require hostessing skills of any kind. Thank goodness I have a couple of friends who actually have china and know how to place it on a table! In this picture are the Roell girls, Rebecca Washney, and my Rachel.

Matthew scoffed at the idea of going to a "tea", but he was won over once he saw the food...the way to that boy's heart is definitely through his stomach! So you may be wondering where the "literary" part of the tea comes in. Each student, or group of students, had a poem, song, or selection of some sort to recite.

Rachel rearranged and changed around (to suit her ideas) the lyrics to the Liberty Kids theme song, and recited it as a poem. I really liked how it turned out. Unfortunately, I thought I was getting a picture and video of her speaking it, but I mistakenly turned the video off when I thought I was turning it on.

Matthew (here with Miss Jessica, his beloved teacher) had a stanza of "Where the Sidewalk Ends" to recite with his classmates. After I got over my initial worries about what to do and how to set the table and how in the heck should I cut up those little finger sandwiches, and we got on with the business of watching the students, I was very happy that we were there. I also feel very happy and thankful that my kids are part of a school where the director and teachers feel like some traditions and old ways are worth remembering and preserving. I also realized that it isn't all that painful to get a little "fancy" once in a while!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment